Cooked rice-1 tbsp
Baking powder-1/2 tsp
Chana dal – ¼ cup(optional)
Coconut pieces (Thenga kothu)-1/4 cup
Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
· Wash and soak the rice about 2 hours. Melt the jaggery with little water.
· Grind the rice, cooked rice, a pinch salt, cardamom along with the jaggery syrup
· Meanwhile cook the dal and keep it aside.(it is optional ,I tried a new way)
· Mix well, cooked chana dal,a pinch baking powder, with the ground paste.
· Heat a nonstick vessel on a low flame. Add the mixture and stir continuously.
· Heat until lukewarm. Stir well and keep it aside.
· Heat cooker and add oil when it is hot, fry the shallot, coconut, cashews into golden brown in color
· Pour the ¾ the of the golden brown shallot mixture into lukewarm rice mixture and mix well.
· Pour the mixture into the same cooker, where we fried the shallot. Garnish the top of the mixture with rest of the fried shallot coconut mixture.
· Close cooker and remove the weight. Cook for 3 minutes on a high flame.
· Next lower the flame and cook for 15 minutes on a very low flame.
· Remove from fire and open the lid after 5 minutes.
· Remove the kalathappam from cooker when cool.
Have with Tea