Powdered milk – 1 cup
All-purpose flour – ¼ cup
Baking soda – a pinch
Butter melted – 2 tbsp
Oil for frying
Whole milk enough to make the dough
For the sugar syrup
Sugar – 3 cup
Water -11/2 cup
· Add milk to make medium hard dough.
· The dough will be sticky.
· Divide the dough into about 10-20 equal portions and roll them into round balls.
· Heat oil on high and then lower the heat to medium. Place the gulab jamun in the frying pan.
· Keep rolling the julab jamun around, fry until the jamuns become dark brown.Keep heat into between low and medium. Otherwise it is not fully cooked inside.
· Let the jamuns cool off for a few minutes before placing the hot syrup.
· The syrup should be made earlier and kept warm. To make the hot sugar syrup add mix the 3 cups of sugar to 11/2 cup of water. Add cardamom powder. Mix with a spoon and then heat at medium heat for 5-10 minutes until sugar is all dissolved in water. Do not overheat, that will caramelize the sugar.
· Transfer this hot syrup into a serving dish. Keep warm on stove. Add the fried gulab jamuns directly into the warm syrup. Leave gulab jamun balls in sugar syrup overnight for best results. They can be served warm or at room temperature.