Chicken – 2 lb (with bone or boneless or chicken thighs)
Onion – 4 nos. medium
Tomato puree – ½ cup
Green chillies – 5-10 nos.
Ginger – 2 inch piece
Garlic pods – 5-8 big cloves
Pepper cones- 10-20 nos.
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Yogurt – 3 tbsp
Fennel seed (Perumjeerakam) -1/2 tsp
Mint leaves,chopped – ½ cup
Red chilli powder – 3 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala – 2 tsp
Coriander leaves,chopped – ½ cup
Cinnamon – 2 inch stick, small
Cloves – 4-6 nos.
Cashew nuts – 10-20 nos.
For the Rice
Basmati rice – 2 ½ cups
Cinnamon – 3 inch stick
Cloves – 4-6 nos.
Cardamom – 4-6 nos.
Bay leaf – 2-3 leaves.
Ghee – 4-6 tbsp
· Clean the chicken and cut into medium sized pieces,wash and drain well.
· Grind together the ginger garlic,green chilli and fennel seed into coarse paste.Without add water.
· Marinate chicken with above ground paste,turmeric powder,1/4 cup mint leaves,cardamom,cloves,bay leaf,1 tsp red chilli powder,some coriander leaves,curd and salt and keep covered for at least 2-3 hours
· Sliceed one onion is extra fine.This one is for the fried onion garnish the biriyani
· Heat oil in a pan add the sliced onion into the oil and fry till they turn brown and crispy,then add cashews and stir for 2-5 minutes, remove from the heat and keep it aside.
· Heat up the remaining oil and add the rest of the sliced onions and sauté it till it become translucent.
· Add the tomato puree and sauted for 5-10 minutes and then add turmeric powder,chilli powder,coriander powder,garam masala,crushed pepper cones and sauted for 5 minutes.
· Add the marinated chicken and mix thoroughly.Cook on lower heat for about 20 minutes.Check frequently to prevent burning and wait till the oil to separate.
· There should be some gravy left and the chicken is almost cooked.Add water only if no liquid for the chicken to cook.
Mean While Prepare Rice:-
· Clean and soak rice for 10 minutes. And drain the water. Keep aside.
· Heat 3 tbsp of the ghee in another pan and add the cinnamon,cardamom,cloves and bay leaf.
· Sauted for a second and add the drained rice.
· Stire fry the rice till it turns opaque and add water,mint leaf,salt and cook the rice till it is half cooked and keep it aside.
· Finally add the half cooked rice to the chicken masala and mix everything well and covered well ,put this into simmer for 15-30 minutes.Carefull don’t allow to burn.
· Finally garnish with fried onion and cashew and coriander leaves
Serve with cucumber raitha and pappadam and pickle…………..Yummyyyyy…..