Mussels/Kakka/Kallummakaya – 30-40 nos,
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder-1 tsp
Pepper powder-1/2 tsp
For the Masala
Onion – 2 nos. medium
Tomato puree – ½ cup
Green chillies – 2-3 nos.
Ginger – 2 inch piece
Garlic pods – 5-8 big cloves
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seed (Perumjeerakam) -1/2 tsp
Mint leaves,chopped – ½ cup
Red chilli powder – 3 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala – 2 tsp
Coriander leaves,chopped – ½ cup
For the Rice
Basmati rice – 2 ½ cups
Cinnamon – 3 inch stick
Cloves – 4-6 nos.
Cardamom – 4-6 nos.
Bay leaf – 2-3 leaves.
Ghee – 4-6 tbsp
First Prepare Rice For Biriyani:-
· Clean and soak rice for 10 minutes. And drain the water. Keep aside.
· Heat 3 tbsp of the ghee in another pan and add the cinnamon,cardamom,cloves and bay lea
· Sauté for a second and add the drained rice.
· Stir fry the rice till it turns opaque and add water, mint leaf, salt and cook the rice till it is cooked and keep it aside.
· Clean the mussel and drain all water.
· Marinate it with chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt. Keep it aside for 10-20 minutes.
· Shallow fry mussels till golden brown, but don’t fry till crispy. Keep it aside.
· In the same pan (used for frying mussels) add the sliced onion. Stir fry till become golden brown at medium heat.
· Grind the ginger, garlic, fennel seed, green chilly into coarsely paste without adding water.
· Add ginger, garlic, green chilli,fennel seed paste and stir for few minutes. Add tomato puree ,chopped coriander leaves , mint leaves and stir for 5-10 minutes
· Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder,garam masala. Stir for a while.
· Add the fried mussels and mix it well.
· Finally add the cooked rice into the above mussel masala and mix well close the lid and cook for 5-10 minutes on simmer heat.
· Garnish with fried onion.
Have it with cucumber raita…..