Raw rice/Long grain rice – 2 cups
Cooked rice – 1 cup
Freshly grated coconut – 1 cup or (canned coconut milk )
Dry yeast – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 3 tbsp
· Soak raw rice for 2 to 3 hrs.
· Soak the dry yeast into a warm water.
· Grind rice, cooked rice, coconut or coconut milk, sugar to a fine paste of free falling consistency.
· Add the yeast water to the above ground paste.Place the mixture in a warm place for almost 8 hrs for fermentation.
· Add salt, mix well and let the batter sit for another ½ hr in the warm place.
· Heat appachatti and pour a ladle full of batter at the center of the pan. Swirl the pan 360degree to spread batter as a thin round.
· Cover the pan with lid and cook till the raw color changes. Remove palappam when sides are crisp.