Raw Plantain /Vazhakka - 1 cup
Elephant Yam (Chena/Suran) - 1 cup (I used frozen)
Green Chilli - 4-5 nos. (split length wise )
Pepper powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Curd/yogurt - 1 cup
Cumin Seed - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek Seed - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 2 strands
Dried Red Chillis - 2- 3 nos.
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
· Peel the skin off plantain. Cut plantain and yam into medium sized square pieces. They should be thick.
· Then cook plantain, yam by adding enough water, green chillies, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt in a medium flame for 10-15 minutes.
· Grind coconut, green chillies, cumin seed to a thick paste, adding curd, if necessary. Do not add water while grinding.
· Add the ground paste to cooked plantain yam mix allow it to boil for another 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally, until the gravy is thickened to a semi solid consistency.
· Remove from stove. Seasoning with mustard seeds, dried red chillies, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves.
Have with rice